our principal sponsors

Watsonians 60 Aberdeen Grammar 13

Published - 7 March 2016

Aberdeen Grammar look down and out after being humbled in a first-half rout in which title favourites Watsonians scored six tries.

Grim days for the Granite City men, who went on to concede a further four second-half tries to fall to the bottom of the table.

But Grammar team manager John Stewart insists his side is not doomed. He said: "We didn't get any breaks, but if we can tackle better we will beat Stewart's Melville and Howe of Fife, although we have not been helped by fellow strugglers Peebles winning at home against Howe.

"We are now bottom but I am sure we will not stay there."

Coach Stuart Corsar admitted nothing went right for his beleaguered side, which has not won a game since October 24, losing 10.

Corsar said: "We made too many mistakes in the first half, including missing a number of tackles, while not taking our chances in a 20-minute spell after half time.

"We were given a lesson in finishing, something that has bothered us all season. However, there was enough there to convince me we can win at least two of our remaining four fixtures.

Grammar captain and stand off Alex Hagart said: "We had a poor first half but I am disappointed that after having so much of the play in the second half we failed to kick on and grab ourselves a try bonus point.

"We now need to look forward. It's no good on dwelling on the past."

League leaders Watsonians went straight into top gear and scored two early tries with alarming ease against a woefully inadequate Grammar defence which looked set to ship a third only for centre Peceli Nacamavuto to intercept a scoring pass and run the length of the pitch for a try which Hagart was unable to convert.

The respite was only temporary as Watsonians surged forward again, adding four more tries before the break.

The home scorers were winger Scott McKean (3), lock Callum Harvey, flanker Dylan Rowe and a penalty try. Stand off Andrew Chalmers rubbed salt in the gaping Grammar wounds, kicking four conversions. The Aberdeen reply in the midst of the mayhem was a Hagart penalty to make it 38-8 at the break.

Stung into action, Grammar started the second half well but, despite 20 minutes of sustained pressure, had only an unconverted try from lock Robin Cessford to show for their efforts.

Watsonians added a further four tries through winger Mark Bertram, replacement Jonny Neary, scrum half Reiss Cullen and centre David Innes.

Luckily for the Aberdeen side, Chalmers was badly off form, adding only one conversion as the Edinburgh side cruised.

Aberdeen Grammar: Alex Ratcliffe; Jamie Gilmour, Peceli Nacamavuto, Doug Russell, Grant Walker; Alex Hagar, Andrew Ovenstone; Matthias Schosser, Stuart Davis, Colin Neilson; Robin Cessfrod, Valum Champion; Ali Mackie, Adrian Hamilton, Tony McGinness.

Replacements: Chris Prentice, Mike Cox, Christian Brew, Sam Knudson, Ali Addy.


Related Articles

All Articles