Aberdeen Grammar Rugby (originally Aberdeen Grammar School FP RFC) was founded in 1893 and is the North of Scotland’s premier rugby club.our History
The Club has been playing at its Rubislaw grounds since the 16 acre facility was jointly purchased in 1914 by the Aberdeen Grammar Former Pupils Club and the then Aberdeen City Corporation.
The facilities have been upgraded over the years with the FP Club constructing the Fine Pavilion and then the Stand in 1993 which marked the centenary of the Club. More recently, new floodlighting and changing rooms were both completed in 2009 with funding from Aberdeen City Council.
The Club has a long history of producing Scottish internationalists, with the late Dr Donny Innes and Dally Allardice being our most capped players during the 1940’s (8 caps) until Robbie Russell was awarded 27 caps from 1999 until he retired in 2007.
More recently Johnny Beattie, Moray Low and Murray McCallum have all been capped by Scotland after playing for Aberdeen Grammar Rugby.
The current club squad also contains a number of Scotland age-grade international players, as well as players who have represented Scotland on the senior international 7’s circuit. Our squads have also included internationally capped players, like Rod Seib (Australia) and Matthias Schosser (Germany).
The Club has produced five Presidents of the Scottish Rugby Union, the most recent being the late Charlie Ritchie in season 1997-1998. D.W.C. (Doug) Smith is also remembered as being the manager of the victorious 1971 Lions Tour to New Zealand and Australia.