our principal sponsors

Kelso 13 Aberdeen Rugby 34

Published - 30 March 2019

Aberdeen Grammar have an exciting run-in. They eased into the final of the National League Cup, beating Kelso for the third time this season, while having one game at home to clinch a top-six in National League 1 on Saturday.

Head coach Ali O’Connor was delighted with his side’s win at Poynder Park which now throws together the best of the north-east and Highland, the top club in the north, when the two meet in the final, scheduled to be played at Lasswade on Saturday April 20, although it is likely there will now be the possibility of a change in venue.

He said: “We will have no problem about where we asked to play Highland, I am just pleased to be in with a chance of winning silverware with this fine squad. We are also in with an opportunity to grab fourth place in the league which would make for a great season. Today we played well against a Kelso team who had improved dramatically since we last put 119 points past them in the last two times we met in the league, but we did the business, taking all of the try scoring chances which came our way. There were some outstanding performances, not least from Ben Inglis in the front row, and Greig Ryan in the back row. Once again our pack was tremendous, as they have been all season.”

The Rubislaw side fell behind to an early home penalty, but quickly shrugged off the reverse through their on-fire hooker Inglis who plundered the home line for a try converted by full back Bryn Perrott, followed up by one from Greig Ryan, making it 12-3 for the visitors before Kelso closed the gap with a second penalty, only for Ryan to score his second to make it 17-6. But it was the Border side who had the last word in the half with a fine solo effort converted touchdown from winger John Ewing, making it 17-13 and game on going into the second half.

The Aberdeen side survived a sustained spell of home pressure before mounting more successful attacks of their own, yielding two tries, the pick of which was from winger Craig Shepherd who was sent over after a magnificent power run from fellow winger Doug Russell.

The other points came from the boot of Perrott penalty and a penalty try.

© Jack Nixon

Related Articles

All Articles