our principal sponsors

Dundee High 36 Aberdeen Rugby 19

Published - 31 March 2018

Aberdeen Grammar’s away day was ruined by a former Rubislaw favourite scoring a hat-trick of tries for Dundee High.

Ali Mackie had his own version of Super 6 day, even having the temerity to complete his late try with a neat little drop conversion, taking the industrious number six’s total of touchdowns to a remarkable 21 so far this season.

It sent Grammar home without even a losing bonus point and, with only one game left in their National League 1 programme, they can finish only six at best.

Mackie was naturally delighted with not only his personal performance but his side’s six try win at the expense of his old team-mates.

He said: “This fixture always brings out the best in me. It was a most enjoyable game, full of good rugby. Grammar played their part, scoring three very good tries but we have the bragging rights in this old derby match, not to mention the Dallas Allardice Trophy, but right now I am too shattered to do anything.”

Grammar head coach, Ali O’Connor was Philosophical about the result. He said: “We will need to be more convincing in our final match against Falkirk, but there were some good performances out there from our guys, including our front row in which our two youngsters Liam Buchan and Ross Anderson, in the company of the experienced Colin Neilson, never gave an inch, while in the back row Robin Cessford was a standout.”

But it was in the back division Grammar were found wanting, despite wingers Calum Ruxton and Grant Walker scoring fine tries.

But they failed to match the free-flowing enterprise of the home backs, who were ably led by stand off Harvey Young, even if his out of hand kicking left a lot to be desired.

Dundee took the lead in 11 minutes when winger Danny McGinn ran in for a try converted by Young, but Grammar hit back in 16 minutes when Ruxton outstripped the home defence. Grammar stand off Bryn Perrott kicked the difficult conversion before Dundee’s excellent No 8 Lewis MacNamara rumbled over in 19 minutes for an unconverted try.

Mackie then got in on the action with his first try in 32 minutes to make it 17-7 but the Aberdeen side rallied and Walker went over in the corner after a bout of good passing right on the stroke of half time.

Once again Perrott demonstrated his worth with a splendid kick to make it 17-14 at the break.

The second half belonged to the home side with Mackie finding himself in the right place to thunder over the Grammar line in 64 minutes.

Dundee centre and captain Duncan Leese got himself on the end of a cross kick from Young, who also added the conversion.

An intercepted try from Perrott which he failed to convert was all the Rubislaw men had to show for their efforts and it was no real surprise when Mackie had the last word with a thundering run followed by his audacious conversion.

© Jack Nixon

Related Articles

All Articles